Elimu Founder Honoured as A Mother
Elimu founder, Nina Chung, was honoured at the 5th Annual Mothers’ Honours Awards in Nairobi for her work in enhancing education in Kenya. The award is a gratifying acknowledgement of the impact that Elimu has made in the community and the recognition we are receiving for our efforts, especially since opening the Elimu Resource Centre.
The event is organized by True Story Kenya to celebrate motherhood and the special achievements of mother’s in society. The guest of honour was Amb. Dr. Amina Mohamed, Cabinet Secretary for the Ministry of Sports, Culture and Heritage who also received an award herself. She congratulated mothers all over the world for their commitment and hard work.
Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.
Happy Mother's Day.
Nina is back in Canada and could not be there in person. But two of our team, Diana and Cynthia stood in her place. In accepting the award on her behalf, Diana stated that Nina has said “God has more than one way to give us children.” Nina is called “Mum” by dozens of children in Malindi and her efforts in providing academic support; entrepreneurship skills and digital proficiency to children, youth and their parents in the community of Malindi has been widely appreciated and respected.
Following is the list of the other mothers who received awards that day:
• Amb. Dr. Amina Mohamed – Mother in Leadership, Administration and Diplomacy Award
• First Lady Nairobi County, H. E. Primrose Mbuvi – Mother in Charity and Humanitarian Award
• Comedian Teacher Wanjiku – Mother in Entertainment / Queen of Comedy Award
• TV Presenter, Mwanahamisi Hamadi – Mother in Media Award
• Boxing Champion, Fatuma Zarika – Mother in Sports Award
• Grace Wambui Odongo – Mother in Selfless Dedication to Security Officers Award
• Angelina Nandwa – Mother in Women Empowerment Award
Nairobi County Governor Hon. Mike Sonko attended the event and praised the contribution of women and mothers in society.
The event was held Sunday, May 12th, Mother’s Day, at Light International School, Nairobi.